If you google “John Witherspoon” you will find that he is a comedian and actor who was born in 1942. I am sure he is a fabulous guy, but that’s not the John Witherspoon I am referring to. This is the one I want to introduce you to:
Recognize him? (I didn’t either.)
Until I read an email about him stating who he was, what he did and whom he influenced. And wow.
Here are a few things about this man:
- He was the only clergyman to sign the Declaration of Independence.
- He served on 120 congressional committees and was a proponent of checks and balances in the government.
- He was President at Princeton where he taught 9 of the 55 writers of the U.S. Constitution.
- He also taught 1 U.S. Vice-President, 3 Supreme Court Justices, 13 Governors, 21 Senators, 39 Congressmen and 114 ministers.
- In 1789, he headed up a committee in the New Jersey legislature to abolish slavery.
John Adams, our 2nd U.S. President, said this about Witherspoon:
A true son of liberty…but first, he was a son of the Cross.
With all of these accomplishments and this incredible influence, few know who he is.
But now I know and you know.
I bring this to your attention today because many of you are John Witherspoons. You’ve influenced countless people and yet your name is not on a the cover of a book. You’ve taught some of the smartest people out there and there is no article written about you in a magazine. You’ve stepped up to the plate and championed a certain cause but no one has asked you to come do a Ted Talk.
But God sees.
Do you know what He says about you?
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
You are His handiwork, His masterpiece, His workmanship, and He created you IN HIS SON to do good works, good things, good deeds for HIS people on this earth.
And you are doing just that. Without any applause, any lights, any fanfare, any hullabaloo.
Because you, my friend, are obedient. And while you may not be able to make a difference for everyone in the world, you know you can make a difference in someone’s world.